Flavorful homemade vegetable stock made from cooking scraps with Parmesan rinds for added umami and depth.
- Whatever suitable vegetable scraps you’ve got piling up in the freezer
- Preferred herbs & spices
- Optional: leftover Parmesan rind(s)
- Toss scraps, herbs, spices, and optional Parmesan rind into a large pot.
- Fill pot with water until all of the veggies are covered. Note: more water means a lighter broth, less water means a stronger broth. There is no right or wrong amount, use how ever much suits your needs.
- Bring water to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 1-4 hours.
- Strain the stock. To get a really clean stock, use cheesecloth to filter out those small dregs that get left behind. (I also like to wrap the soaked veggies in cheesecloth and squeeze out any liquid they are holding).
- Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for 6 months.
Keywords: soup stock, soup base, vegetable stock, vegetable broth, homemade vegetable stock, homemade stock, homemade broth, parmesan rind stock