Yellow summer squash, zucchini, goat cheese, and mozzarella di Bufula come together to make a delicious summer pizza that pairs perfectly with a chilled Sauvignon Blanc. Tangy, salty, and fresh, you’ll be craving this pie all season long.
- Your preferred pizza dough or pre-made pizza base
- 1/4 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 summer squash, thinly sliced
- Goat cheese, crumbled
- Mozzarella di Bufula, shredded
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
- Fresh scallions, sliced
- 2–3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Red chili flakes, salt, and pepper to taste
- Prepare your pizza dough based on your preferred recipe or simply use a pre-made pizza crust from the grocery store. If frozen, let it thaw.
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Brush the base of pizza crust with olive oil and minced garlic. Then, sprinkle with red chili flakes to your taste.
- Next, evenly layer the thinly sliced white onion around the crust.
- Now it’s time to add the cheese! Sprinkly the shredded mozzarella di Bufula all over the pizza to your heart’s desire.
- Arrange the sliced summer squash and zucchini in alternating concentric circles (for aesthetics! you can also just place them on randomly if you want).
- On top of the zucchini and squash, sprinkle some goat cheese crumbles. Top off with a few grinds of salt to your taste. Add a final light drizzle of olive oil on top; this prevents the squash from looking too dried out after the water evaporates in the oven.
- Place pizza crust directly onto the oven rack and let bake until the cheese is melted, bubbling, and maybe a little browned if you’re like me and enjoy it that way. Depending on the oven, this step may take 15-20 minutes. Keep an eye on it until it reaches your desired browning, and make a note of how long it took for next time!
- While the pizza bakes, toast your pine nuts in a pan on the stove over medium heat for just about 1-1.5 minutes. These babies can burn FAST so keep a very close eye on them!
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool slightly. Sprinkle with the toasted pine nuts, some freshly grated Parmesan, a grind or two of black pepper, and a handful of freshly sliced scallions.
- Serve hot with a glass of chilled Sauvignon Blanc!