A vegan cozy, roasted carrot soup with a depth of flavor from herbs, fennel, and caraway seeds. Dairy-free!
- 3 pounds carrots
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- ½ teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 ½ quarts vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- ½ bunch parsley
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Optional: micro greens or edible flowers for a garnish
- Preheat over to 375℉.
- Combine herbs (thyme, bay leaves, parsley, oregano) into an herb bouquet held together with cheesecloth or tied with kitchen twine.
- Peel and cut carrots into large pieces and toss in olive oil and salt. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Peel and slice the shallot. Sauté in a large pot with in olive oil and spices.
- Add the stock, salt, and roasted carrots to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then add the bouquet of herbs. Lower to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the herb bouquet, season with lemon juice and zest.
- Pour everything into a blender in small batches and blend until smooth.