When you’re looking for a creamy soup without the dairy, this vegan carrot soup does the trick. You’ll love how lush and flavorful this simple soup tastes with just carrots, vegetable stock, and a variety of balanced seasoning.
Pair with Chenin Blanc.
This recipe comes from the cooking course I won through a contest offered by the vegan culinary school Plantlab. It’s part of the Fundamentals of Cooking course – a course designed to build a foundation of basic cooking skills. Anyone can make this recipe with ease.
As cold and dreary Soup Season comes to an end, a hearty carrot soup is the perfect seasonal dish to transition into Spring. This vegan carrot soup is creamy and smooth – no dairy necessary – and super comforting with a layered flavor profile from the fennel, caraway, and variety of spices. Roasting the carrots makes for a very earthy and cozy soup.
I used a vegetable stock that I made from scratch based on another assignment from the same Plantlab course (let me know in the comments if you’d like a post about how to make your own veg stock!).
Pair this soup with a classic South African Chenin Blanc. This varietal is often blended with grape varietals called Semillon, Viognier, and Marsanne, which lend to a rich, full-bodied wine reminiscent of Chardonnay, but with just a bit of sweetness. It’s nothing close to a dessert wine by any means, but the touch of sweetness in this South African Chenin Blanc is a perfect match for the delicate sweetness of carrots.
Other Chenin Blanc producers might blend the grape with Sauvignon Blanc for a more spritzy and refreshing style. For this particular dish though, avoid this drier take on the grape and embrace the light sweetness for the perfect balance.
Let me know in the comments if you try out this recipe and how it goes for you!
A vegan cozy, roasted carrot soup with a depth of flavor from herbs, fennel, and caraway seeds. Dairy-free!
- 3 pounds carrots
- 1 shallot
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- ½ teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 ½ quarts vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 tablespoons fennel seed
- ½ bunch parsley
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Optional: micro greens or edible flowers for a garnish
- Preheat over to 375℉.
- Combine herbs (thyme, bay leaves, parsley, oregano) into an herb bouquet held together with cheesecloth or tied with kitchen twine.
- Peel and cut carrots into large pieces and toss in olive oil and salt. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Peel and slice the shallot. Sauté in a large pot with in olive oil and spices.
- Add the stock, salt, and roasted carrots to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then add the bouquet of herbs. Lower to simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the herb bouquet, season with lemon juice and zest.
- Pour everything into a blender in small batches and blend until smooth.